Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPO Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilbonvidia

Technical User
Feb 6, 2007
GB
I plan to script the copying of some data files that is only to run for people who have a certain application. I was going to use a GPO. Would it be best to create a separate OU and put the relevant people or computers in that OU or create a seurity group with those people in and set permissions on the GPO so it is only applied to that group?

Or should I just apply it at the default GPO and use if members of commands in the script?

Also.. copying the data files from a server to user machines I want to exclude data files that already exist on the clients machines rather than waste time overwrting. Would robocopy /XO do the trick or is there a simpler way?

One way to do this would be... run a VBScript as a computer startup script through GPO. Have this script look for a certain registry key on the computer to see if your application is installed. For example the registry key might look something like this....
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\yourapplication

IF the "yourapplication" key exists, THEN copy a file from a network share, onto the local PC. If the "yourapplication" key does not exist, then have the VBScript do nothing.

I'm not an expert with VBScript, but have done something similar in the past. The Microsoft script center is priceless for examples on how to do stuff like this...

to copy a file for example...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back