Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPMSC - Organizing 'Group Policy Objects'

Status
Not open for further replies.

compuveg

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2001
US

Is there a way to make sub-folders in the GPMSC's "Group Policy Objects" folder? I would LOVE to be able to make a folder in there and have it contain our 'unused' policies, and those used in testing.

The Group Policy Objects Folder is a a collection of ALL policy objects. If you wish to view objects in folder then just look above that container and you can see your OU structure.

You have the ability to create new policies and link them directly on the OUs and do not need to create them under the Group Policy Objects container first.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

That was my fear. Oh well. I'm just glad I'm in a small organization and not a huge one. I can't imagine how large enterprises manage GPOs.

That's right, the GPO container is the 'swimming pool' of ALL policies. However, it can STILL be organized. Append a '<group name>' to each GPO.

i.e.

ALLUSERS_desktop policies
ALLUSERS_proxy settings
HR_wsus policies
IS_wsus policies
MANAGERS_block all internet traffic policies

You get the drift.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

(I do what I can with what I know)

We prefix GPs with standard names also. We do installs via group policy, and use prefixes like this:
assign_Visio2k3
publish_Visio2k3
Most GPs are linked at the top of my hierarchy, and I Have Domain Groups that control the installs. Monthly, I reconcile the membership in the groups with an automated audit. Then I pay for it :)
I have several WSUS policies - each is prefixed with WSUS.

Yep, great tip. Prefixes are the way to go, as it sorts by name. I've got testing_policies, unused_policies, terminalserver_policy, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back