Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GP9 on Citrix login issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBurcie

Technical User
Sep 10, 2004
US
We are in the process of testing out GP 9 in preparation for our upgrade to 9 from 7.5 and are having login issues.

Our test environment consists of 2 citrix servers, both on Win 2k Server. One is a copy of our live environment running 7.5. The second is an image of the first, but with the upgrade to 9 completed.

We are using Citrix to run GP as we are in our live environment. Our test users have no issues logging into th 7.5 instance. For some, when they try logging into the 9 instance their login fails every time (basically it's a password failure). I have reset their password, tested logging in with this from my computer (logged into Citrix as me of courser) and it works fine. When the user tries the new password, it fails still. I have shadowed and tried logging in with my login and it fails. The only username I am able to log into their session with is SA. This would tend to point to some issue with the password encryption as SA is an unencrypted password (correct me if I am wrong). I have created a new windows user to launch the sessions and it works fine for any user.

I hope that explains the pickle we are in. We hope this was just a glitch in our test area, but if it isn't, it's a showstopper when we actually do the upgrade for real.

Any input would be appreciated
Thanks

There is tk# for this on the Customer Source, unfortunately I do not have it. But it has to do with the fact you needed to capture your logins before you ( I am assuming your test database is on a different server) restored and upgraded your version.

DynamicsGP 9.0 uses the Server name found in the DSN to encrypt the password sent from Great Plains to SQL Server.

It would also appear that the UserId is now case sensitive (regardless of your SQL collation setting) and therefore needs to match exactly.

What does this mean? When you are resetting the password, are you doing it within Great Plains or within SQL-EM itself?
If Great Plains, check that the DSN you are using has the same Server Name as the DSN the users would utilise from within your Citrix machine.
If within SQL-EM itself, the user should be able to logon, but will be immediately asked to change their password.

These facts are hidden in the Fix List of GP9.0SP1 (cannot use '.' or '(local)' as server name) and Point 11 of KB 878449.

------
Robert

The part that is bugging me is that I can log on with username joeblow while logged onto my laptop as me, but when logged onto the computer as a different user it fails when logging into GP as joeblow.

To answer Robert's one question, when I say that I am resetting the password, I am doing that right in the user setup screen in GP.

When logged on as you on your laptop, check that you do not have both a User and System DSN in your Data Sources (ODBC)
If so, delete the User DSN.
Then Check the System DSN does actually have a server name rather than an IP address.

------
Robert

That shouldn't be an issue. We are on Citrix, so in essence, we are always logging onto the same 'workstation'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back