Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GP UserID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwiman

Technical User
May 6, 2005
GB
Hi All

We have had a third party billing platform implemented that incorporates into the GP tables. Users access and maintain the contrat data by logging into GP and opening the relevant third party form.

We are trying to implement an audit trail of the contract data, by using a SQL trigger. The data is being correctly captured in regards to new and old values and date added. The problem is that the user being tagged is generic and does not change according to who ever makes the amendment.

This generic user is the one the developers use to run stored procedures etc, and must also be the one used to write the data to the contract tables.

My question, is how can I get the GP UserID instead of this generic user name so we can track who made the changes.

We currently use the SQL Server syntax "SYSTEM_USER" which does not work. I have also tried computer_name but this only brings in the CTX server we use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Take it Easy
Man with one chopstick go hungry

Given that you say that the triggers are only recognising the 'developer' id as the user making the change, leads me to the question.

The third party form been used to enter the Contract Details ;
Is this a Dexterity form, or a VB/VBA Form?
If the latter, then the data is likely to be sent to the server over a ADO connection within the VB/VBA Code.

Given this, it may be that the code has hardcoded the 'developer' id. To test this, change the password for the 'developer' id within SQL Enterprise Manager or SQL Management Studio. If this breaks the update to Contract details, it is definitely hardcoded!

As such, you need to go back to the developer to get them to change the code so it users the credentials available from within DynamicsGP by using the GPConn.dll file or the GPConnNet.dll (KB 912960)

If the former (dexterity) - this is very strange.

------
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back