Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GP interface with SQL e-commerce

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc3500

ISP
May 12, 2008
US
I am looking for input on this. I would also consider having someone handle the GP side of this for me. I would appriciate a refererral to a good programmer/consultant capable of working with me on this project.

What extent are we talking here? and what GP versions?

Some things in GP are already set up to handle the MS e-connect stuff - or their Biz Portal apps...

Using Version 8.0

I would not like to use e-connect if possible. I was thinking about going a route using either server side scripts, FTP and GP integration manager, or DTS.

Website can pull info from flat text files.

I also found some old posts by Borvik which were very helpful.

I am confident on the PHP/MySQL side of things, and have a decent understanding of category structure of GP, but I need some help on getting GP to import and export the data fields required. Hopefully that sheds some more light on this.

which modules? Sales? Inventory??? How extensive are you getting here.

nice thing about eGP of course is that you can run it as a service and it will happen in the background. I have some triggers built behind our sales module that sends the info through eGP to a Warehouse system and back again... Pretty cool except there are some things that eGP does not do that I need it to do - so I just do it in a trigger (no audit log - shhhhh) to get the data from one to the other.

Export to website: Part Number, Price, Description, Inventory

Import to GP: Customer Information, Price, Payment Information, Part Number, Quantity, Description, Price, etc.

Really just the basics. We want to feed the website our inventory on 15 minute intervals (I think it could be done with a server side script and a cron job). We then need to import the required sales fields back to GP.

I would like to stay away from e-connect for the following reasons (do not want to upgrade GP to newer version, cost, etc.) I would however consider e-connect if it can be done at close to the same cost as the other ways I listed.

You could use SQL Server Integration Services to do this easily. One customer does this by using the FTP task to get the orders from a website that is hosted off site and uses the eConnect SSIS task which interfaces with eConnect. This doesn't require you to purchase eConnect and is 1/5 the cost of integration manager, and 1/5 the cost of scribe if price is your main concern. Do a google search for Dynamics GP SSIS toolkit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back