Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GP Definitions and Descriotions

Status
Not open for further replies.

spthomas

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
US
We're creating a reporting data mart that is fed in large part with data from Great Plains. We need descriptive data field names, and really should have textual definitions for the fields. I've not seen any of this. Any ideas how to get human readable names and definitions?

If you have access to CustomerSource, you can download the SDK which should help. Otherwise, you can go to Tools>Resource Descriptions>Tables in GP.

Well, I don't have ready access to GP either. But, I do have a file named "Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 Table Reference, Version 1.1" that provides some more descriptive names for the tables.
What I'm trying to do is create a data dictionary with table and column information including descriptions, for a BI data mart I'm building. Users need to know what the data is they're querying, and this will be extracted from GP. I would really have expected the product to provide definitions for all the fields, but haven't located anything at that level.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Steve,

Go to:

...and then to the downloads section. In the list you will see table details, which is a start. For fields, your best solution is the SDK, but I don't know how to get that to you without CustomerSource.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back