Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GP 9.0 backup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehojr

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2005
US
We run a backup of our prepared payroll each week. This is right before we run checks in case we ned to re-run etc .. This process is done through sql currently via I/T support. IS it possible to have the payroll admin run this back up without i/T support?

What version of SQL?

In my opinion - this is more of a SQL question than a GP question, BUT - you can schedule SQL backups to occur on a set basis (let's say payroll is every other Thursday - you can run it at 6am every other thursday).

Without giving away some of the 'big' utilities for SQL it would take a small amount of effort to 'trigger' this if you wanted Payroll to be in control instead of it being on a scheduled basis.

When we were on SQL 7 I wrote a small ASP intranet screen that all it did was allow the user to push a button which would insert a record into a table (ask 'are you sure' before inserting of course). On insert this table had a t-sql trigger that would backup another database. I am pretty sure that you should be able to do similar with SQL 2k & 2005, but I have done away with that functionality since we can schedule the backups more often.

This help or you need more info?

I was thinking triggers. we are on sql2005.. sounds good

sql2005 would be cake to do this.

have them search google on t-sql backup --- there are only about a million entries (like for everything else) and that should get them started. When I did my first thing like this I backed up a test DB, made some changes to the test DB - then did the restore - just because I am a firm believer that you do not do a back-up unless you plan on using it.

if you need more help holler - this bit of an idea should get them going ... although with 2005 if you are in the backup screen there is a button at the top that says 'script' - hit that and you get the command with your settings
Code:
BACKUP DATABASE [NorthWind] TO  DISK = N'E:\SQLData\MSSQL\BACKUP\NorthWind.bak' WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT,  NAME = N'NorthWind-Full Database Backup', SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD,  STATS = 10
and that could be the 'simple' start for the t-sql - just a thought

Another alternative is SQL Web Data Administration. I've given some users this tool then restricted there access to certain tables.

This is a free-tool for web access to the sql database just like a Query Analyzer.

Just use the interface within Great Plains. Go to file>Backup>, I believe you might need to be the sa or have a user that has sa rights.

good advice form all.. I was wondering if this could not be done from the great plains interface.. I thought it was removed in version 9.0 I will check

and I thought that SQL Web Data Administration was only on 2000 and did not make the trip for 2005 - so this gives me something to look at too

i'm not sure about that either as our production is still running on 2000 but test servers on 2005.

i'll check as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back