Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GP 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

rphips

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
Hey

Does anybody know if Great Plains 10 client works in a windows 7 environment?

bob

[ponder]

We have a couple of users running GP 10 on Windows 7 32 bit.

You are supposed to be able to use 64 bit as well though you need to make sure to create a 32 bit connection for the database in order to get it to work. We don't have a 64 bit machine so I haven't verified how well that works.

Thanks Borvik

Not 2 concerned with the 64 bit version 99% of our company will not run on 64 bit so we will be staying (for now) in a 32 bit environment.

GP 10.0 is officially supported on Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), you should not have any problems with it. While not spelled out in much of the documentation, the supported editions are Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise.

Here is a link to the GP 10.0 system requirements on CustomerSource:

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2009
Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
blog:

Watch out for the windows 7 font issue with GP.

Easily fixed once I worked out the cause.

David

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

mailto:David dot Musgrave at microsoft dot com

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I've seen an issue where users cannot see network drives when printing a report to a file. I haven't really bothered to troubleshoot because the user (IT staff) upgraded to Win 7 without asking me first. :) If anyone has an easy answer to that, I'd appreciate it.

Also, last I heard you could not install FRx on Win 7. Haven't looked at that lately either.

FRx 6.7 with SP 11 is fine on Windows 7 32-bit. I have been using it for a while and have not seen any problems. I typically recommend installing it as the local/built-in administrator and outside of Program Files to avoid issues.

Not seeing network drives when printing to a file from GP? Or in general? Either one is most likely not a GP issue, but something else. I just tested this on my GP 10.0 on Windows 7 and can see all my network drives when I choose to print to file from GP. Is your client running Windows 7 Home by any chance?

Victoria Yudin
blog:

Hi Victoria,

They are on Windows 7 Professional 32 bit. They can see network drives elsewhere. When they are printing a report (or inquiry) and click the destination button then then click File, the drop down only shows their local drives.

It's not really a client...I'm a customer. :) They are a subsidiary company that I do support though so I guess they are sort of a client. This problem has been there since they went on Windows 7 but I haven't had time to deal with it so I just told them to save to their C drive and copy the file over. It would be great if I found the solution though.

Thanks,
Stefanie

Hi Stefanie,

Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing...when I am on the Report Destination window, and I choose File, there is a 'browse' button next to File Name (it looks like a folder) and a drop down that gives me options for File Format. Do you mean when you click on the folder icon next to the File Name and the Save to Export File window opens, you do not see the network drives under the 'Save in' dropdown? Or do you mean something else?

Victoria Yudin
blog:

Yes, that's what I mean. I have GP on my Windows XP machine. The controller at this company used to also have XP but now has Windows 7. When I click the folder next to File Name and then click the Save in drop down, I see my local drives as well as my network drives. The controller used to also see those. Now, on her Windows 7 computer she only sees the local drives.

I thought it might be a Windows security feature where you have to give permissions for applications to see network drives or something. I searched related to GP as well as unrelated but did not find much. I know GP consultants tend to be smart and tenacious so I thought this route may find a solution. :) And I'm not saying that ONLY because I was a GP consultant for 12 years! lol

Stefanie,

Hmmm.... This is not my area of expertise, so maybe someone with more expertise on this will chime in. However, I just found something interesting in testing some of this stuff:
- I have 6 network drives mapped using a login script. I see all of these listed in the 'Save in' dropdown. If I go and map a drive myself, I do not see this drive in the 'Save in' dropdown, even if I log out and log back into GP after mapping the drive. Not sure if this helps, but maybe something to go on.

Victoria Yudin
blog:

Yeah, it's those type of things that make me think this might be some new Windows feature. For security or something. If she goes into XP Mode she can see the drives so I did check the GP compatibilty with Win 7 initially.

Thanks for the extra info. Until this point I hadn't gotten anyone else to see the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back