Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gotomypc political hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilpadrino

MIS
Feb 14, 2001
US
I've been defending myself for a while now since I blocked gotomypc at the firewall. Is there anyone that can give some general suggestions in dealing with employees that want remote access programs running on their office computers, and executives that don't understand security concerns?

My answer is to install those programs at home and transport files rather than use gotomypc.

What do you think? -- FYI I'd like to eliminate all remote access (dial-up and vpn) by developing an extranet which provides webmail, intranet content, and server-stored documents, but the project is pending a new web hire.

FYI I'd like to eliminate all remote access (dial-up and vpn)"

Unfortunately in our job there has to be a balance between security and freedom of use for users, however a properly secured VPN shouldnt cause problems apart from users being stupid, and as to them transporting files from home, what about virii being brought secure-side from users machines, it's all a problem, but thats why they pay us ;)

I've had some success in "selling" the big boss on the security concerns. If I can scare him then he can get the rest to fall in line.

Easy, connect to your pc at home with the boss watching. Transfer sales contacts, price lists and a few other goodies to your PC I think you may find them on your side pretty quickly.

Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back