Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gotomypc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilpadrino

MIS
Feb 14, 2001
US
What is your opinion of this service? Is this a security risk for the internal corporate network? Does anyone know what port to deny?

thanks.

I've used it for 2 years. It's been fairly reliable and on the road, a godsend :) Unlike MS Remote and many of the others, nothing is needed other then a very small service to run on the client. All that is needed on the other end is a browser and the new Java client allows virtually any browser to be used. You can make up a list of one-time passwords for use at public cafe type of PCs.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

I found it -- it's in the gotomypc docs... in firewall, block host poll.gotomypc.com

The poll is just port 8200 using ICMP. It's basicly pinging home to see the if there servers are there. Block that and gotomypc.com servers will say the client is not available. This will not stop someone from using gotomypc to GET to a client outside of your network. The application uses port 80 and HTTPS for the outbound connection.

You would need to block the servers themselves or the entire site of gotomypc.com

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

I feel that if possible
1) create your own simple program to transfer files from a remote PC
2)use routers for added security by putting ACLs
3)put sure you have ANtivirus software inside your PCs

However as enterprise or corporate i think they will not risk having this kind of software.As you will never know what data or backdoors they have created behind your back.

Why created it? You can use several free programs that will tunnel your data through any firewall by use of outside proxies or other means. One program uses SSH to encrypte your data and wraps it in a HTTP header so it appears to be valid web traffic. So not only does the data get through the firewall, if you spot it, you can not tell what the data is due to the encryption.

Read this :

MikeS

Find me at
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back