Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GOTO bad bad bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2004
US
I know everyone says that GOTOs are evil, but why? Is it a memory issue? Code inefficiency?

Thank you

No, it is because it tends to teach you how to write spaghetti code and make the maintenance and improvements to this code a pure nightmare.

Walid Magd (MCP)

The primary challenge of every software development team is to engineer the illusion of simplicity in the face of essential complexity.
-Grady Booch

And it is a "four letter" word as well :)

As Walid stated, GOTO is a major cause of 'spaghetti code" and should be used with extreme caution.
In almost every case, there is a better method available.

HOWEVER, as with all programming techniques, GOTO has uses. Has anybody wondered why every language I am familiar with still supports GOTO?

ANSWER:
Because, there are specific cases where you might need to branch code without returning.

I am playing the devils advocate here. I just want to point out that I know of no programming technique that does not have a use somewhere at some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back