Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Got Online Microsoft Courses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

multiplex77

Programmer
Dec 25, 2001
SG
Hi,

Does Microsoft offer online courses for their certification training? I'm looking for these courses in particular:

1. Programming a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Database
2. Administering a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Database
3. Supporting MS Windows 2000 Professional and Server

I've looked up the MS website but they seem to only offer classroom courses.

I have another question: would anyone recommend online courses over classroom courses? Or are online courses as unfruitful (or fruitful) as books? I've got budget and time problems that's why I'm considering online over classrooms or books. I've never attended a classroom course, but I find it hard to imagine how one can learn in 5 days what is contained in a 1000-page book!

Thanks for any help or opinions offered.

I took the Programming SQL 2000 Instructor led course (5 days in the classroom). MOC. I would recommend this approach if you have no experience at all with SQL server becauses it forces you to get hands on experience with the product (which I didn't have at the time). If you already work with it, you can probably get the same benefit by reading and working through the labs yourself. The class was very helpful in passing the 70-229 exam a year later. The pace was fast. Many chapters convered in one day, but we got through almost all the material.

I, too, am trying for my MCSE. I chose the instructor-led path because I felt like I have a resource. In class I can interact with the instructor, ask questions, find out what resources they used, etc.

I took the 4-core using MOC and, while it was hard going to school at night and work through the day, I'm willing to spend a little more this way because it IS more fruitful this way. I feel like I'm learning a lot more this way.

My 2-cents!

looking for the following online course. Supporting MS Windows 2000 Professional and Server

Microsoft themselves do not offer ANY MCSE courses, they are all offered by traning centers. Some of these centers may offer online classes, but I doubt you will find anything useful for the SQL tests as they have become rather dificult.

Here are some online training centers:
(offers video classes)

and so on, I just did a search on Google for these.

I don't belive you will be any happier with online classes than with a book unless you get some sort of personal support person you can call (or a hotline...) Many people find it hard to study a topic if they cannot ask another person a question when they run into a wall.

Some people, on the other hand, don't like the class room setting because it goes too slow or too fast for them. But I would suggest that if you are finding the books usless then the online "classes" will be the same.

Check around in your local "tech" paper there might be a MCSE group that you could join, they will probably have a website and you can get support there and see if the online classes and books will provide enough to train on when you toss in the group setting! CJ
- Jr. Rocket Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back