Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Got myself a report. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbfella

Programmer
Aug 2, 2005
US
So, I have created a report using the report designer in CR XI Dev. Whats next?

According to the following one-line definition of what CR XI Dev is

"For the creation and integration of reports into web- and server-based applications"

I should be able to open this report in a web page (or deliever this report to my users to review inside a web browser) simply by publishing the rpt file to my own IIS virtual dir and without having to use BO Ent XI or CR Server XI. Right? Well... Right?

If no, then would some one explain what they mean by website integration in the one-line def? and If yes, could someone please tell me how to do it in plain english?

HELP MUCH APPRECIATED

You need extra software to run Crystal reports on web servers.

You can purchase a Crystal Reports web server tool from BO or write your own application (if you have Crystal Developer).

See detail on BO's web site.

hth,
- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

so If I were to write my own web app using CR Dev SDK, is there any sample code that I can look at to get started?

Hi,
With CR XI Dev, as opposed to standard, for instance, you get the developer components needed to create Visual Studio .NET ( or Java) apps using your reports.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

VBfella... you should have known..... nothing in life is THAT easy....????

Mike Vega

"What would you attempt to do... if you knew you could NOT fail?

vidru,

thanks for link. I donwloaded sample from the "classic" ASP link you provided.

The only problem with that is, it attempts to download the viewer onto the client machine when viewing the report.

Intrestingly enough, the .NET sample code (that came with the CR dev XI CD) doesn't download anything and it shows the report just fine in its web viewer that doesn't have activex object embeded.

Any comments on this?

Hi,
Newer versions use the 'thin' client viewer by default, older ones use activeX ( or Java if on Netscape) so, look for a line that sets the viewer type ( maybe in that older code look for something like 'init=actx') - leave it off entirely and an HTML viewer will be used.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back