Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

got a question about vlans and accessing my switch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonhill

MIS
Dec 6, 2002
US
Okay I'll try and make this as un-confusing as possible. I inherited this mess so I'm trying to decipher as much as possible.

I have 2 switches. one is a cisco 2950 the other is a procurve 5308 (core switch).

The cisco is setup with the default vlan 1 having an address in the 192.168.10.0 network. There is a vlan 10 on the cisco switch. fa0/2-fa0/24 is assigned to vlan 10. My desktop is plugged into fa0/2. fa0/1 is the trunk port back to the procurve. I cannot ping or telnet to the address on vlan 1 from my desktop or the procurve. However, data is flowing just fine to the procurve and out to the net.

What I want to do is assign an ip address to the switch so that I can telnet to it and manage the switch. Where have I gone wrong?

You will have to console to the switch and type the following.

int vlan 1
no ip address
shutdown

int vlan 10
ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
no shut

Thanks brian,

I was doing all of that but I was not shutting down the vlan 1 inteface. the vlan 10 int was saying it was down and I kept trying to bring it up but it wouldn't come up. I see what I was missing.

Thanks so much

How is your fa0/1 configured? I don't like to not use the VLAN1 interface on the switch when I can help it. I'm wondering if your trunk isn't setup 100%. My first guess is the procurve doesn't support dot1q, and that might be the real cause for the troubles.

Check a "show interface trunk" command as well.

the 2950 only supports dot1q for trunking. Does the procurve support it? My guess is not.

Alternative, put the ip address from vlan10 on the vlan1 interface. All ports will then be in vlan1. If you aren't really doing a trunk to the switch and need multiple vlans on this switch, you should be covered.

5308 switches support 802.1Q. It's a standard trunking protocol.

ISL is Cisco proprietary.

802.1Q is the default for the 2950, so it won't show up in the config, but it's enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back