Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Google's Search Engine - Adding to Website 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

haydn

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
GB
I've added the code given by Google to include their web search as well as searching the web site I'm responsible for. However, I thought I'd done everything they said, but it doesn't work. It accesses the but not my local website. Could it be something to do with the 'encoding' which they say I might have to alter (they have UTP-8 as the default). Rather than cut and paste the code, my website is - perhaps looking at my HTML source code alongside Google's may throw some light on my shortcomings.

Thanks

Try adding encoding to your site, for example:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

then replace UTF-8 with ISO-8859-1, maybe it'll help

Yes, the Google site search will only look for pages they have already indexed.

Heard of this a couple of times now and in both cases it started to work ok after a couple of days.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Cian:

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't change anything.

Chris:

This site has been live for at least 6 months, so I would have thought all it's pages were indexed by now, but is there anything I can do to 'force' Google to index all the pages - just to be sure ?

Well, I've decided to say goodbye to Google. Thanks everyone for helping, but I've included a simple engine from 'FreeFind' which worked first time.

Even though you've given up on the Google search:

"This site has been live for at least 6 months, so I would have thought all it's pages were indexed by now"

Is your site linked anywhere?
Have you submitted your site to search engines?
If not then submit your site to the top search engines and get it linked to from other sites ... it could still take a number of months for your site to be indexed. Also, consider making a site map linked to from the front page ... for the spiders.

The FreeFind search seems to work OK. I'd make a couple of suggestions:

1) Get rid of the "search the web" option. Nobodys gonna come to your site to search the web, we go to Google for that. Those radio buttons are just needless clutter.

2) Make sure all your pages have a meaningful <title> element. Viewing the site map should make it clear why this is an issue:
The De Vere Society

* The De Vere Society here
* The De Vere Society
o The Real William Shakespeare
* The De Vere Society
* The De Vere Society
* The De Vere Society
* The De Vere Society
o here
o here
* The De Vere Society
o The De Vere Society
* The De Vere Society
* The De Vere Society
Not very useful, is it?

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Chris,

Thanks for the advice. You are quite right - the page titles were amazingly boring. You know what it's like, you build one page successfully then copy it to make others, forgetting to change the titles. They are changed now and make a bit more sense. I agree with you about the search options and will change these shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back