Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Google or Norton problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toraz

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
DE
Not sure if this is the right forum but i hope so....

OK we got our LAN working fine, just one small problem.
We have Norton Personal Firewall 2002 on the gateway computer and the 2nd computer works fine,internet,online games, etc.But the 2nd computer cannot search on Google unless the firewall is disabled.
Can anyone help with this?

The older Norton firewalls used to allow seperate machines to have access thru them. Run ipconfig from a DOS prompt to find the IP address of the troubled system, then add it to the allowed IP addresses in the firewall. The test continues...

The computer works fine on everything except Google..
all websites i have tried work, online games work but no searching?
This is the strange thing....

Are you using any Google toolbars? Check their help... The test continues...

ok well actually i've found there are a few sites i can't even get to on the LAN computer which i can on the main gateway computer
firewall disabled they won't load on the networked PC
anyone know why?

how about this. reinstall the firewall, and then check what happens if you mess around with the cookie settings. This happened at hime and i just changed a few settings and it worked.
if that doesn't work, add google to the site area in the firewall program, then it should recognize it when you try to access google.
hairyspider

Dont be afraid of walking slowly, be afraid of standing still.

Could it be that good and your other sites do not use the standard 80 port ?

eg: they use 8080 or another common web port ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back