Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Google/IE7 Keeps Asking for Office 2000 disk - why? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

haydn

Technical User
Mar 16, 2002
GB
Having done a simple search on Google, the web page displayed OK ,but I have just encountered (again) an irritating pop-up box asking me to insert my Office 2000 Premium disk! Why? What has Office got to do with a web site I am viewing? I only use Office 2000 for Frontpage and Office 2007 for Word/Excel - not that that should be of any interest to IE7 or Google. This has happened before - the box can of course be cancelled, but it's still very irritating. When I navigated to screens within the website, the pop-up box still kept appearing. Any ideas how I can switch this thing off - whatever it is?I am using IE7 on a fairly bog standard ACER laptop running XP professional.

Are there any office addons for use with IE? Document viewers and the like.

have you tried inserting the CD?

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

is it only on 1 website or many?

Well, first in reply to Grenage, I recreated the message and inserted the Office 2000 disc, which the machine happily accepted, albeit briefly. I then exited from the website and returned to it: the message is no longer displayed. Haven't got a clue what was loaded from the 2000 disc mind you.

As far as the add-ons are concerned, I went to these via Tools>Manage Add-ons>Enable or Disable Add-ons and found nothing resembling Office in the category "Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer". However, in the category "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer", I did find "Microsoft Office 12 Authorisation Control" and "Microsoft Office Template and Media Control".

Could these be the culprits?

In reply to eyec, yes this has happened before to other websites, but it's very rare and the site I'm referring to now has never been accessed by me before.

I would guess that those add-ons could be the culprits, I know that office documents can be opened within Internet Explorer.

It may well have required the disc to finalize installation of the add-ons, although I don't know why they would be required for Google searching!

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Grenage, thanks for that. I hope I never see the thing again!

Here's hoping you don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back