Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Goodbye to MCSE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anationalacrobat, I posted that mainly to refute Donmc67's comment that "that's the way that Microsoft set it up to be."

Paul, congrats on the VCP4. I've been beating my boss over the head with requests for the VCP training for months, but he still won't go for it. Apparently he thinks I know enough about VMware already that I don't need training, but being able to get the cert would be nice.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Thanks.. Yeah having to do the course so you are eligible for the cert is a bit of a bummer. I can see why they do it that way as it ensures you have at least some hands on time with the product but it is still a pain for those that already know the product inside out. The exam itself was not overly difficult..

Guess I should start looking at the MS virtulisation stuff now!!

Paul
VCP4
MCTS: Exchange 2007, Configuration
MCSA:2003
MCSE:2003

RFC 2795 - The Infinite Monkey Protocol Suite (IMPS)

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week

So I just discovered the MCITP certifications... I manage a few techs and I am going to give them a chance to earn some certs on the companies dime...

Would you suggest them going for a MCSE cert or getting MCITP and MCTS certs? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to doing either???

Im two tests from MCSE myself and wondered if I should have just got the MCITP and MCTS exams instead...

Mark C.

That depends, what certification is more relevant to their job?

Are they going to be working primarily with Windows 2003 or with newer technologies? If they work primarily with Windows 2003 then an MCSA/MCSE would be appropriate. If they would be working with newer technologies then the newer certifications would be more appropriate.

In either case, if I were starting from scratch I probably would not go further than the MCSA these days unless you really need them to. The MCSE is 7 exams, and that's a lot of extra work unless you can bang them out pretty quickly.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Server Administrator
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back