Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good XML program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyramus

Programmer
Dec 19, 2001
GB
Can someone point me in the direction of a good program to write/edit XML docs/schemas please? There's surely something better than notepad ;)

I hear xml spy is good, you can only use it for 30 days though.
There is allso xmlnotepad from Microsoft (I did not like that one).

XML SPY, especially if you get the full IDE, is a great tool. It can even generate XML Schema for you from your XML documents. The schema always need a little tweaking, but that is expected. XML Spy is worth the money.

I tried XML Spy. I didn't like the layout of the program and found it very cumbersome. I tried to uninstall, but it didn't bring my system back to the state it was in before installation (i.e. file assocations, right click menus, etc.). I would not recommend the software until they improve their uninstall utility.

If you just want a good full featured editor, try XMetaL instead

XML Spy does take a little getting used to. I haven't tried to uninstall yet. Will keep an eye out for issues like that. Thanks.

I use XML Spy. I don't mind the schema building interface - it abstracted alot of the details which smoothed the DTD to XSD transition. They keep up with the latest of releases of MSXML (the XML implementation I am using). There are some bits that I wish were better (eg contextual intellisense)... IMO 8/10

I think the best thing to do is evaluate, then either buy that software or evaluate another. If you have a chosen technology, then look for their compatibility with it. Also, don't buy what you don't need - sometimes you don't need to buy the whole suite, just the products you'll use.

Oh I should add this: I usually check for freeware before I consider buying - I didn't find anything worthwhile in the XML/Schema area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back