Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good RJ45 crimper

Status
Not open for further replies.

wybnormal

Technical User
Apr 8, 2000
US
Ok.. I need to purchase a new crimper after some #**#@@*( HEAD stole my AMP crimper and dies from my truck the other day. I have had that AMP since 1995 and needless to say I am behind the curve to the new ones. I see cheap ones that look good but do they actually work? THe requirement is CAT5E, no 6. Any 6 I put in will be factory cables but I do 5 and 5E all the time for one offs and custom work.

I'd like swapable dies to handle the sometimes telco work.

Advice?

Home of the book "Network Security Using Linux"

I still think the AMP is the best , check out ebay they where bringing around 50 or so last I looked

I bought tree on ebay I keep one with the rj 45 , one with rj 11 and one with rj 22 dies .

I've never had a problem with the ideal telemaster. does rj45 and rj11

I have an AMP crimper and have been told absolutly not use it UNLESS I had bought my RJ-45 crystals from AMP and to not to use it on any other brands-AMP Tech Support also agreed stating their die was unique (of course). Others in our field cry out on its behalf as their favorite bar none. Any credence to this AMP claim?!?

Why is there never a phone in any of the phone closets?

I have used mine with allentel from graybar and they seem to work as well as the actuall AMP

Hey folks,

I recently read a thread about this on another forum and here is what I heard.

The old AMP dies only work with AMP connectors.

Newer AMP tools ,ay ship with a "normal" die that works with non-AMP plugs.

So, I guess if you buy an AMP tool you must specify if you want it "AMP compatible" or "industry compatible". Nice that AMP now gives the option.

On that thread they also said that the compatibility is ONLY relevant for 8-position plugs. The 6 and 4 position plugs are compatible between AMP and other vendors.

So read the fine prnt beofre buying an AMP crimper.

Happy April fools day

Right. I have a GMP presser too and dies for both AMP and everybody elses plugs.

-Hal

I agree with skip I have used my AMP crimper for about 3 years now.and it has never let me down,

GMP is all that I have used for the past 5 years with any modular plugs that I've purchased, and have been 100% satisfied. I was in Los Angeles this past weekend and had to make 12 quick patch cables for a client and all passed the scanner test. Excellent tool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back