Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good Resource Material? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aharris2693

Programmer
Jul 15, 2003
US
I am an intern trying to teach myself VB.net based on some prior knowledge of ASP and VB6. I am doing some work for Facilities here, so there is no one in my department that knows anything about VB. I bought a book by MS, but it is extremely simple and really only goes into coding objects that are created in design mode. While this forum is very helpful, I think that I have too many questions for this type of setup. Does anyone know a good book or site for learning the best ways to connect and manipulate DBs through VB.net? Should I look into buying a more complex VB book, or perhaps an ADO.net book? Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions.

I found most helpful the following books (they are listed in the order of their helpfulness to me):

Visual Basic .net complete - Sybex ISBN: 0-7821-2887-4 only $20

Beginning Visual Basic .net Databases - Wrox (out of print - but still on some bookstore shelves) ISBN: 1-861005-55-5 $35

Coding Techniques for MS Visual Basic .net - Microsoft ISBN: 0-7356-1254-4 (expensive)

Programming MS Visual Basic .net - Microsoft ISBN: 0-7356-1375-3 (expensive)

Hope these help

Thanks to both of you. Young user, I am kind of stuck having to buy books because I only and intern am only here about thirty hours a week, so most of my learing I have to do at home where I only have VB 6. Thanks to both of you again though and I hope that eventually I will be able to use the samples offered because that is usually the best way to learn by far.
-Anthony

Anthony,
If you are a student, and you want a version fro home, you can get the academic version of .NET for about $100. Check e-bay or search google for it.

actually you dont need to buy anything there are vb.net compilers out there for free try the one at and if you download the .net framework sdk the vbc compiler is included just type the code in notepad and compile it with the vbc.exe

Christiaan Baes
Belgium
"What a wonderfull world" - Louis armstrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back