Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good place to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanSoft

Programmer
Nov 7, 2001
US
I'd like to learn C, but I have no place to start. Can you help me?

You could take a one night a week course in C at any community college in the nation for probably $100 (assuming you live in the USA - you have a I live in the USA sounding handle :) Personally I like taking classes as I find the assignments really force you to actually do something that you might dismiss as trivial but really might not be as easy as it first appears. Thats just my preference.

Or just get yourself a book and a GOOD C compiler. Nothing worse then teaching your self a new language and having to mess around with a bad compiler. If you're in the Windows Environment I think the help in MS Visual C is great. Gives you examples that you can copy right into your code and play with to see how it changes the outcome.

I can't stress enough how easy it is to get a basic function understanding of C. It's really pretty simple to get C to perform simple taks so don't over estimate the difficulty. Sure it gets complicated at some point, but it's not hard to get started.

Also, once you get your toes wet, if you find yourself stuck just hit the Search Engine of your choice and you can find C-tutorials online all over the place. You can also find descriptions of specific C functions online all over the place.

Well, for me, I started learn C from book (C Programming Guide - Jack Purdum) but I also have programmed in Pascal before (and I learnt it from book too). So if there's no one around you that could help you, you can learn C from books. And of course, try looking for book that will explain you C from bottom. And maybe if one book confuse you, try looking for another (See to become familiar with C or be fun with C, one book may not enough). After reading the book, you should also try to experiment with C it's really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back