Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

good linux firewall client

Status
Not open for further replies.

delfy

MIS
Feb 8, 2005
JM
what is a good firewall software for linux that can manage internet sharing, bandwidth allocation and show reports browsing activity?

Iptables/ipchains. Lokkit.

squid.

Maybe you should try Cobra/ Side Winder.

if its only a firewall, smoothwall is easy. If its more than a firewall, ignore my suggestion entirely.

i've always used firestarter

if you're on debian then it's apt-get install firestarter

I'm sorry, I didn't understand your question, and from the answers that I've seen, others are confused as well.

Are you looking for a way to firewall your linux workstation or to build a standalone linux firewall?

hidden75's response is good for protecting a linux box that you will actively log into and run applications on, while KarveR's response is excellent for a linux box that will only be a firewall.

initialdrifteg6's response I think will work in either case, but is geared more toward the workstation.

Pretty much all linux firewalls take advantage of IPTables/IPChains, but how you write the rules differs greatly based on which interface you use.

pansophic

Thanks for the replies yeah basically i want to set up a box as a firewall and that controls internet sharing while it acts as a firewall for protection to my network and dns server

I've always enjoyed Astaro ASL (
It's free for personal use, but if you're in a business you're supposed to buy licenses for it.

Pretty robust, great web interface and I think it'll do all that you want and more.

once more thanks again guys i am doing the reading now

Also, if you are using it for your own pleasure Coyote Linux is a nice little floppy based firewall.

iptables
Coyote Linux/BrazilFW use iptables to fireware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back