Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good freebie Backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soluod

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2000
US
Does anyone know of a web site that has a good free backup for W2k? I don't want a shareware with a limit on days, nor a demo. God - do you believe in Him? Does He believe in you?

Thanks. I downloaded xxcopy, and I'll try it first. God - do you believe in Him? Does He believe in you?

What's the matter with Start/Programs/Accessories/Backup. It's what I use and it comes with W2K. I have a schedule to backup my system files, registry and certain other files to my network on a weekly basis. Check it out. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"We will either find a way, or make one".
Hannibal (247-183 B.C.); Carthaginian general.

Glen, I use the backup you suggested but because I wish to back up on CD-ROM I get an error message indicating "W:\ is not a valid drive, or you do not have access". Why is that?

MoJoP

I'm not sure. I back up mine to the network. Why is the CD set as W. We set ours on the servers as R so as not to confuse ourselves, and we can navigate to it. Is W mapped? Silly question but does the CD burner work? Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

My computer has the DC-RW drive configured as Drive E. I don't know why I typed "W," unless I just missed the "E."

The CD burner works. I can copy any file in this computer.

I now have WinXP installed, not Windows 2000.

Question: Does the Windows backup program compress the files it is backing up? I need this, because I want to do a complete backup of everything on this computer, and I have a 30 GB hard drive.

Question: Is it necessary to backup everything, or can I just backup the system data?

Sorry to ask these questions, but I am a dummy when it comes to advanced computer knowledge.

I only backup the files I want and the system state which includes the registry. If you've got the registry safe, that's 90% of the battle. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back