Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good diags Utils

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeloaf

Technical User
Dec 20, 2002
GB
Not really the right forum I dont suppose but........

Can anyone recommend any software diagnostic tools they use regularly? What problems do you use them to check?

I have experimented with RAM testing software and never found anything reliable.

What about disk checkers? Anyone know of one better than scandisk?

Any tools for any purpose - please let me know!

I have experimented with RAM testing software and never found anything reliable.

Hmmm, does this mean that your RAM failed? Or does it mean that the software failed? How do you know?

Just curious...with what you mean by "reliable".

SiSoft Sandra pro.. its a Swiss Army Knife of tools.. check Kazaa Lite for v5 pro

Used to work testing PC's at the end of a production line. One of the most common returns that slipped through the test procedure was instability caused by RAM.

Ram that proved to cause freezing / fatal exception errors (it was a while ago ;) always showed as OK when teted with all the software I tried. Hope that answered your question - many thanks for the helpful reply ;)

Hola,

AMI-DIAG SUITE for checking many a thingy on the PC from RAM to CHIPS etc.

SiSoft Sandra - Dito the above...

AIDA 32 - very usable progy for indepth knowledge on what your PC is made of... as well as jump Links to manufacturers websides...

Belar Advisor - very good on giving info about the Software installed on the PC (Hotfixes, OS, Apps etc.)

as for memtesting I use either the Microsoft Memtester for XP, or MemTest86, or the build in MEM test in LINUX distro SUSE...

Ben

Hi mikeloaf,

Thanks for the reply. It's always nice to have a bit of background...

So, these PC's off the end of the production line, how long were they on a soak teast for? (Just trying to establish if it was the method that was at fault, rather than the test software).

Regards.

I dont wish to sound rude but do you know any good utils or not? As you will have gathered from my post this was windows 98 machines approx four years ago. I cannot remember the exact test procedure or the names of specific software used. Are you trying to tell me you do know some reliable ram checker? If so, why not just come out and say it?

Many thanks for all your suggestions people!

As you will have gathered from my post this was windows 98 machines approx four years ago.

Hi Mikeloaf,

Firstly, it is not possible to glean the above information from your previous posts.

Secondly, it was your good-self that said I have experimented with RAM testing software and never found anything reliable. but yet you didn't mention which ones you had found unreliable.

Now you are saying that you can't remember the test procedures...perhaps that's why "those" machines slipped through, eh?

Perhaps a point to remember for future reference is that if you have tried some software and found it to be unreliable then please state what it was. People can then make an assessment of whether it is the software or some thing else that is at fault. Also, it stops people from suggesting software that you have already tried.

If you can't remember the software that you have tried in the past, what was the point of mentioning that you had "experimented" with RAM testing software?

Yes, I could reel-off a list of software for you to try, but chances are you wouldn't want to spend the money to buy a copy of each product to "try it out" and there is no way I would advocate a pirate copy.

So a little more detail from yourself might have gotten a worthwhile answer from myself...no doubt there are others who will decide upon the value of what I have said.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back