Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good Day - Asterisk Newbee - Command line help questions. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

reelbigfish

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2008
US
How can we list the or sort the assigned extensions and DIDs in Asterisk? I can access thr system and I know what files we need to change.

sip.conf extensions.conf and voicemail.conf

We inherited a Asterisk systems but no documentation. We are at a point where we need to assign new user etenstion/vmail and phones but we don;t know what extensions or DID is avaiable to assign. Any help or direction or suggestions will be greatly appreciated and awarded stars.

There are some flavors of Asterisk out there that have built in web gui's. You may want to investigate if your system is based on one of these (check /var/ assuming Linux based system.)

If so, you'll want to administer your system through that.

If not, then there are programs out there (I've never used) that try to simplify managing your dial plan and extensions.

I find it's usually easier to go the grep/regular expressions route, again assuming a linux based system.

If you browse to the IP address of the Asterisk box, do you get a web interface?

might also try https as well if http does not work.

It's all command line - Still need help identifying what dids and exts are avaiable to assign. Thanks

Try this:

Code:
 cat sip.conf | grep '\['

reelbigfish,

Like everything, there WILL be a learning curve. If you wish to learn about the asterisk command line, do a google search for the book "Asterisk the Future of Telephony" (there are free PDF versions available on the web) This is the book that got me started with asterisk. A very good read indeed.

kodr is correct, you will most likely find the list of DID's in the /etc/asterisk/sip.conf file. The correct syntax & settings are documented in the book mentioned above.

Also from the Asterisk cli (command line interface) try the sip show command (or help sip show) for the correct syntax & I believe that you can list the sip extensions in the system. To add extensions though you will need to edit sip.conf.

Be patient & don't give up, & you will eventually master Asterisk.

Thank you to all who contributed - We were scucessfull with this! The advise is well taken and valued. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back