Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good cable pulling/pushing tool? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brmale

Technical User
Nov 4, 2002
US
I was wondering what everyone uses to run cable in the drop ceiling area's of buildings. Do you all use fiberfish type rods or do you guys use something else?

Thanks,
Brent

I use several different types of push rods, depending on the installation. We used to (in the old days) just push as far as we could and lay the cable up there, but the NEC prohibits laying the cable on the ceiling grid. So now, we need to secure it up every 4-5 feet or so, and the old push stick trick just isnt as usefull as it used to be because we still have to get up in there every few feet and secure it.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

In certain situations, Iv'e found the Tel-O-Pole to be very useful. It's also perfect for attics, crawlspaces or anywhere you can see your wire, but physically cannot get to it. Its telescopic with hook on the end.

check them out at Hope this is useful..

check out labor saving devices his stuff is pricey but
I have never regretted buying it .

I use a stick simular to the gopher pole with a weight on the end of the cable I can usually get it up over enough stuff to keep it suspended without having to tie it every few feet.

Most ppl I see and therefore me also use the clip on front from some conduit, after all there is often plenty laying around when cableing. Just tape the cables to it.

We recently ran a bulk of cable to provide better and upgraded connections to our new Tech Center. one thing that worked in our favor was using Belden MediaTwist Cables, which were stiffer and much easier to feed-- often times we could push the cable itself a good 10 or 11 feet before running into snags or coiling( We had a wire fish for awhile, but it got tangled in something that had been sealed into the wall itself and we had to kill it. For our Vertical drops, we attached a small 2 C-Battery flashlight to the end of the cable with gaffer's tape and dropped it anywhere from 2 -5 floors... worked like a charm. For the Horizontal feeds we used what was basically an old CB Radio Antenna with a hook; and lots of gaffer's tape [wink]---angie

If you are pulling a bunch of cables from a closet to all your individual drops, try using a pullstring. we use a fiberglass fishrod to pull the first set of cables, but we tie a pullstring to it. then, we tie the next set of cables to the pull string and use it to pull them. keep doing this and you can pull alot of cable quickly. This is normally helpful if you have a long pull that most cables will be going down like a hallway, then just branch off at each room where you need to. Degg
Network Administrator

I agree with Degg, pullstring is my best friend.
As a pushrod for the first run I use a length of 3/4" CPVC plumbling pipe. It's flexable enough to bend corners and stiff enough to span long open spaces. Once it gets "bowed" you need to replace it, but fortunately it's inexpensive in 10" lengths (buy a 20 foot section and you'll already have a spare!)
--BeerHeart

I agree with Degg, pullstring is my best friend.
As a pushrod for the first run I use a length of 3/4" CPVC plumbling pipe. It's flexable enough to bend corners and stiff enough to span long open spaces. Once it gets "bowed" you need to replace it, but fortunately it's inexpensive in 10" lengths (buy a 20 foot section and you'll already have a spare!)
--BeerHeart

I saw mention of just getting the cable up over enough stuff to keep it suspended.
Be carefull when using this route, especially if you have a bundle of cables. Depending on what you are going over, could put a kink in them or as you pull them tear through the casing.
Proper suspension can keep you from having headaches later.

My cable pulling crews use pull-strings and/or gopher pole, including a follow string for successive pulls. Be sure to free the follow string from the bundle and much as possible to avoid braiding.

One favorite method: Loosely tie a roll of tape to a 20-foot piece of string secured to the tapered head of your cable bundle. Toss the tape over the top of everything, pulling your cable behind. Secure your cable with J-hooks every 5-10 feet and dress with velcro and/or tie-wraps.

When bundling, especially with tie-wraps.
DON'T PULL THEM TO TIGHT
If you have trouble trying to tell when it is tight, try
putting your finger in with the bundle and tighten, then when your finger is pulled out you should be ok.

I always used PVC pipe too. even if we suspended the cable the specified 4-5ft i would always make the run useing the pvc pipe, first run and pull-string after that i would just use the string. for me it was faster that way. then to finish the runs we would all pitch in and dress the cables. they sel a number of different "push poles" at places like graybar but they are VERY expensive. i'd rather give an electrician a six-pack and take a couple pieces of pipe! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back