Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good book suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisHarris

Programmer
Nov 22, 2002
US
I'm trying to find a good book to help me start out using XML, I tried XML for Dummies, and do NOT recommend it. Any recommendations for a strong book (covering basics, then getting into some detail, and containing real world examples)?

Thank You

I used Beginning XML by WROX. It was very usefull. Covers basics such as XML, XPath, DTDs, XSLT, XSchemas etc.

Isn't very good on DOM use though. If you are developing on a Microsoft platform I would go to MSDN and download the MSXML3 or 4 SDK - it gives some great code examples and covers some basics.

Otherwise try I found it great. And whats better its free. The XSLT section is invaluable.

James :) James Culshaw
james@miniaturereview.co.uk

I second the WROX XML book recommendation. Beginning XML is good high-level coverage of most XML-related topics. The XSLT Programmer's Reference has saved my job a few times.

Uura ~~~~
"Common sense tells you that the world is flat."

NOT recommended: Neil Bradley "The XML Companion" (second edition). More a description of specifications than a tutorial. Dense, dry, inscrutable.

I'm going to try the Wrox text (they did me great for ASP) ... I like bread over sawdust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back