Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good book needed. Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcLodge

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
GB
Hi all,
I have written a number of VB macros for Word, Excel, and Access over the years, but it's always been picked up from either looking at other peoples examples or using the 'record' function and then modifying the code.

I'd really like to learn it a bit better and there seems to be a plethora of books out there. Anybody got any particular favourites that they could recommend? I am a developer who can program in a number of different languages.

Thanks in advance.
Marc

If it's Excel your after John Walkenbach's books are a pretty good.

would certainly recommend Excel 2000 Power Programming by John Walkenbach

Comes with example cd and coupon for a free copy of his (very useful) PUP utility add-in

Rgds, Geoff

Never test the depth of water with both feet

Help us to help you by reading FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Check out It has a several books that fit what you're looking for. I use "Mr Excel on Excel" a lot, but I know there are others written by Bill Jelen (Mr. Excel) that also provide VB assistance.

OK, thanks for that so far, I'll investigate the Excel ones. What about VBA for Word?

Once you get a feel for VBA (and the Excel books are definitely best for that), transferring that knowledge to Word is mostly just a matter of understanding Word's "object model". The help files do a decent job of this, so you may not need a book at all.

That's just as well, because the few books that deal exclusively with Word VBA get poor reviews on Amazon.com (my advice is to ALWAYS take the time to read the reviews on Amazon prior to buying a book!).

One Word book that is reportedly very good (although I haven't read it) is "Dreamboat on Word" (written by a Tek-Tips member!). It has at least a chapter on VBA in Word, so it might be worth picking up. Check Amazon.

VBAjedi [swords]

I just bought 2 great VBA for Word books:

"Learning Word Programming" by Steven Roman

"Word 2000 VBA" by Duncan Mackenzie

both very helpful. They are hard to come by
it seems, but I got lucky on Amazon.com.

Thanks,
CWarner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back