Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Golf Club and Restaurant POS Needed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepper69

Technical User
Mar 30, 2005
US
We're a small golf club with full service restaurant/bar and lower snack bar and bar. Lookin for POS system that will interface with an accounting system (we current use ACES which is golf industry specific). Any feedback giving direction on where to start is appreciated.

Will the ACES interface with quick books? If so, so do most of the more popular POS systems. And possibly merge the figures together in Quick Books. I currently have two country club accounts and at both the pro shop is a seperate thing maybe even subcontracted.

Bo

I'm a man,, I can change,, If I have too,, I guess. (Red Green)

Golf POS is actually a deep vertical product, involving much more than the usual product for payment transactions. Golf POS's often interface with the tee-times reservations to record the arrival of the golfers at the club and to validate their eligibility for a particular green fee rate. Golf courses also often implement minimum spending requirements for their members to help subsedise the fine dinning facilities at the club. When this is the case, the POS is usually required to distinquish between billing the member's a/r account or consuming the member's prepaid credit.
The good news is that the golf software industry is sort of a "good-old-boys" club, with industry specific vendors having to interoperate with each other just to make the sale. Vertical market software is much more expensive than general market stuff and few clubs can afford to toss out a $30k membership management system just to get a new POS. As a result, interoperation has become somewhat of a rule.
I would suggest that you stay in the vertical, checking out the major vendors via the ads in the back of Golf Management Magazine or one of the other trade docs.
By now it should be obvious, that I am in this vertical market and that I am trying my very best to obey the forum rules. I haven't mentioned my company or my products, nor referred you to a link to my site. Just info and advise. No Advertising.

I hope you find suitable software for your needs.
Good Luck,

Colt Taylor

If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid

One more thing...
A former poster suggested Quickbooks as a common meeting place for your seperate software products. This would be good advice if QB could take over the central "A/R, A/P, G/L" functions of the club. Unfortunately, at most clubs, the "A/R and G/L" functions are aspects of the membership management system which in this case is probably ACES.
QB then becomes redundant and using it as an interface may require that the membership database be kept in both systems with all of the accompanying synchronization challenges. I would suggest that you call ACES and see if they have a standard for "Exporting Member Names" and importing "Sales Transactions". I'm almost positive that they do. Armed with these standards, you can then talk to the golf-vertical POS companies to see if they can live up to that standard.

Hope it helps!
Peace,
Colt Taylor

aaaah... That explains why I get to put my pos solutions into country clubs for the bars, and restaurants, but don't ever get to work with the pro shop area.

Bo

I'm a man,, I can change,, If I have too,, I guess. (Red Green)

Bospruell,
If your POS can emulate a micros 2700/4700, you might still get into the proshop. A lot of smaller clubs don't have integrated Tee-time Reservations yet, and almost every membership maintenance system hosts micros.
There is enough out there for all of us!
So, Good Luck!!!!
Peace,
Colt

We had a demo on the ACES system. We're also looking at ClubTec which is extremely expensive. I'm finding hardware is pretty much the same. Jonas has gobbled up a couple of players. Does anyone know the vulnerability of ACES to be bought out by one of the bigger players. ACES seems to be a small player in the market and I am concerned about them not being supported if they are consumed by another larger entity. Does anyone know a club that has ACES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back