Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GoldMine upgrade / backup / database size question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivop73

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2006
US
Hello guys,
Fist of all please forgive me if this question has been already discussed. I tried to find more information on the posted topics, with no success.

We are using Goldmine with GoldSync 6.70.50123. The database on the server is DBase. We also use Goldmine as an e-mail client, along with all sales activities.
I have 8 internal users, plus 7 undocked users on laptops, that sync with the central database.

The problem is that our database reached the limit of 2 GB mailbox.DBT file (several times already).
It is clear that this is limitation of the Dbase engine and there is no workaround for it. According the 1stdirect guys, there is nothing that we can do to reduce, or to backup/archive some of the records/mails. They suggested deleting some emails from the database, and running the rebuild process (not to mentioned the famous annoying "unsufficient disk space" message connected with the 4GB free disk space problem). But then we loose one of the major advantages of Goldmine – the unified history of activities to your customer/client/record.
I also assume that some will suggest to move to Corporate edition, install the SQL version and I wont have this problem.
But then what shell I do with the Laptop users. Should I install SQL on them as well? It’s not ever recommend to have SQL on a non Server MS platform?

Guys, what are the options I have? How to keep everyone happy and have all emails/activities to all contacts and keeping the size of the database small? (I read a suggestion somewhere – do not use GM to send mass mails – we don’t. We use Constant Contacts Service for this)

If we upgrade to Corporate edition, what I am supposed to do with the laptop users?
Is there a tool to use to backup/archive let’s say all contacts activities before 2004, store that data in a separate database and delete them form the master one?
What people do in cases like this?

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and for your time.

Ivo

Purchase GoldBox Pro for dbase. It has a section to archive emails very nicely and links via GoldBox views to the record. Tested this myself with a couple of clients.

I've used BR7 (freeware from Goldbox's maker) to locate and delete lots of trash from within client databases to reduce the problem -- for a while.

Regardless, however, your problem is not an uncommon one. The answer, really, is to migrate to SQL AND manage your mail a bit:
-Have your users empty their trash on exit from the e-mail center (it's an option in the internet preferences.)
-Identify and delete any mail that apparently has 5,000 copies of itself in history (yes, you'll find those!)
-Don't store the message body on template-based mail. If it's a template, the history line-item ought to be enough to remind the user(s) what was sent.
-Have your users NOT subscribe to mailing lists, newsetters, message board alerts, etc. If they do, they should be sure to DELETE those messages when they're done -- not just file them. They throw away or recycle the daily paper when they're done with it, right? Imagine if they just filed them all? Your office would be filled with newspaper within a few months!

As for SQL on the laptops, MSSQL 2005 Express would work nicely for a single-user -- even on windows XP. The thing is, SQL Express has a 4GB database file size limit. That's not per table, that's the whole database! So if your mailbox table takes up 2.5 gigs, yuor history takes up half a gig, your contact file takes up half a gig, etc. etc.. You may end up with the same problem surrounded by a different set of variables...

Regardless of the platform on the remote users, you may find yourself needing to limit the segment of the database the remotes get. A filter such as 'sales person' = 'JOHN' might just need to be imposed on the remote user(s) in order to keep their data files of a reasonable size.

If they can't stomach that, they may need to give up the freedom they enjoy of being able to carry around their GoldMine and have that all-important offline access. Yes, I'm talking about something like Citrix or even an entirely different, browser/web based CRM program.

It's either that or just tear out some of the older e-mail and archive it off somewhere with Goldbox, BR7, whatever. You could, pretty easily, pull about half of the mailbox file and present it in a GM+View tab via data-driven web pages...

Anyway, one last note and that's that the Corporate Edition of GoldMine has a discount running until the end of July. ;)

If you'd like to discuss these options (or buying the upgrade to Corp. Edition) feel free to give me a call at (310)601-4738. :)

Doug Castell
Castell Computers
(310)601-4738

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back