Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GoldMine Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsv

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2002
US
We are having problems getting a backup of our entire GoldMine system. It is GM 5.7 running on a Windows 2000 server.

The problem stems from user sessions not releasing the GoldMine files in order to allow the backup software (NTBACKUP) to access them.

I have tried using the auto logoff feature in Goldmine, but it does not appear to work. The only successful backup we have gotten required that I manually disconnect all of the user sessions by accessing them through the OS. This is not a viable option.

If anyone knows a solution to our problem or knows of another software package that has a GoldMine agent that will alleviate the problem.

Thanks,
BSV

IF THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY HAD EVOLVED THE WAY THAT THE COMPUTER INDUSTRY DID, A ROLLS- ROYCE WOULD COST $100, GET A MILLION MILES TO THE GALLON, AND EXPLODE ONCE A YEAR KILLING EVERYONE INSIDE. – AUTHOR UNKNOWN

This has been a problem in GoldMine for some time...

We have attacked this on several fronts: the first is education. Improper logouts are the cause of your problem, and by educating the users we have seen some improvement.

For those who don't want to listen, we have timeouts that often solve the problem. Next, we have "administrative punishment" in a couple of different ways- if they don't do it right, I'll do the backup and reindex during the day, forcing everyone out. When I get the angry calls I tell the truth- "Joe didn't follow the rules and logout correctly, and we have to do this reindex and backup, so you'll have to wait a bit longer." Usually it only takes once or twice before Joe gets the hint (from everyone). Another method is to go into his properties, chage his password, login as him and logout properly, then wait until he calls you to place a trouble ticket. Then you say the problem was caused by not logging out properly. He'll get it right to protect his productivity.

Finally, I've been in a situation where my network admin runs a script to kill all processes attached to the GM folder shortly before indexing...

That is really about all we have come up with (for free) that solves the problem. We have been doing it for about 5 years, and it is only the very rare occasion that we have a problem. Michael Phipps
Technical Business Analyst
Mercy Health Plans

I wouldn't be opposed to running the script if you could tell me how to only disconnect the sessions associated with the GoldMine folder. All I have been able to come up with is to disconnect all network sessions associated with each client computer. While this method would work, it would also disconnect e-mail and any open files. If you could provide me the script or commands, it would help a lot.

Thanks,
BSV

IF THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY HAD EVOLVED THE WAY THAT THE COMPUTER INDUSTRY DID, A ROLLS- ROYCE WOULD COST $100, GET A MILLION MILES TO THE GALLON, AND EXPLODE ONCE A YEAR KILLING EVERYONE INSIDE. – AUTHOR UNKNOWN

Also, there is a program called Shutdown.exe that can be run that will shutdown an active session of GoldMine.

This is very useful if you use it in conjunction with Windows Task Scheduler, especially if you have a GoldSync machine.

You can download it from

Robert Colborne
Experts in GoldMine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back