Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Goldmine and Citrix 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

techchimp

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2003
US
I am the Net. admin for a company that uses GM 5.5 on CItrix Metaframe 1.8 on a W2k SP3 server. GM is installed on a seperate App. server(W2k SP3). Some of our Citrix users have received the following error when trying to access GM and the only way to clear it is by terminating all GM sessions active on the Citrix server. This has no effect on the local LAN users who access the same App server that runs GM. The local LAN users do not receive this error.

Read failure.

Context: open
\\Raymar3\goldmine\goldmine\GMBase\LookUp

1: File: \\Raymar3\goldmine\goldmine\GMBase\LookUp.DBF

BDE Error Cat:Code: [36:1]
BDE: 500 [21/6/1999] GoldMine: 5.50.10424

User: GMCKEE
Window: &Cancel

Template: 7169
Details:
FILENAME: \\Raymar3\goldmine\goldmine\GMBase\LookUp.DBF

This error usually ties in to the Lookup.db* file, but I have seen it with other .db* files listed in the error.

Sometimes, this error appears when trying to view GM logs with the Syslog.db* file listed. I have rebuilt ind. files and complete contact Db's numerous times, but this problem only exists for CItrix users, so I believe it is exclusively a problem of the Citrix server.

Please advise if you have any ideas -- ANY ideas. I am open to them all.

Thanks.

Well it could be that to many files are open. In your BDE Admin whats the MAXFILEHANDLES set to in the Configuration>INIT Tab?

Set it to 4096

It was only set to 64. I have made the change you suggested and will monitor for results.

Thanks very much ;}

Just an update to whoever may read this. I am still getting the errors, they seem to be related to unplanned disconnects of citrix sessions, but I can't find the common denominator.

I have increased all the registry settings having to do with tcp keepalives, etc... but this still happens. It seems if a user gets disconnected with GM still running, the problem occurs, but not consistently. and it does not affect LAN users not going through citrix.

hmmm thats strange as Citrix should keep the session alive anyway or close the apps....

It sounds like its closed the network access, so the next file GoldMine checks for gets the error... so you'd see this happening alot around the cal.dbf at a guess.

Are you running Packeteer or AppSense?

I am not running either, however, I do have Pervasive SQL 2000 running on the Citrix server so I can run BusinessWorks Gold on the Citrix server as a front end app.

I have not seen a common connection between BWGold and GM as far as errors are concerned.

This does bring up a good question, however. Is my Pervasive SQL causing a conflict on my Citrix server with BDE? They shouldn't be as BWGold and GM can be linked. I will have to research that.

Thanks for shaking that loose.

Any other thoughts would be helpful.

I am experiencing the same problems. We recently converted to SQL on GM6.0 but had to take the GMbase files back to dBase as we experiencing deadlocks on SQL. The move back to dBase for the GMBase files was the suggested remedy from FrontRange. However now the "Read Fail"s are back. It is usually (but not always) the OpMgr table which appears to be corrupted. I also suspect it has something to do with users disconnecting (purposely or because the network blipped) from Citrix instead of logging out. I have to run a pack and rebuild daily.

Following the suggestions in this thread I have changed MAXFILEHANDLES to 4096 (from 1024).

Another suggestion from FrontRange is to turn off REAL TIME tab.

I made a modification to my GM.ini file that is located on the Citrix server. It points all GM functionalitiy and BDE config. to the app server that the Goldmine main installation is on. Here are the lines I added:

GoldDir=\\GMSERVER\goldmine\goldmine\GMBaseSysDir=\\GMSERVER\goldmine\goldmineCommonDir=\\GMSERVER\goldmine\goldmine\commonNetIDAPI32DLL=\\GMSERVER\goldmine\goldmine\setup\bdeshare
where GMSERVER is the name of the server that the main installation is on.

I haven't seen the read failure error come back since the change was made.

Since I have GM as just a workstation install on my Citrix server, rebuilding the database files is not the solution as no LAN users encounter this ar any error.

Hope this helps.

chris1603,

Do you have more than one user logging in to Citrix with the same user account?

I am curious about this because I do. I am trying to get away from this but am stuck at the moment and have to leave things as they are regarding this account. If this is the case, it may be tying into the problem of the BDE trying to allocate the same resource to multilple users in a fashion that it is not designed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back