Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Going to DTS == "Preparing to install"...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XopherS

Technical User
Dec 8, 2006
I'm using MS SQL Server 2000 SP4 on Windows XP SP2.

Steps:
- Open SQL Enterprise Manager.
- Navigate to the Data Transformation Services > Local Packages folder.
- Open an existing DTS package.

What I get:
A bunch of flashing "Preparing to install..." boxes, but only the first time I open the package.

Event Viewer > Application shows a bunch of MsiInstaller errors, with an event ID of 1001. (About 12 per attempt, all the same.)

[tab]Detection of product '{F50ACDE0-EC46-4E45-AAA5-A96F9ED6E8DD}',
[tab]feature 'Core_Components' failed during request for component
[tab]'{436D7A23-36BE-11D2-ACBB-0080C7FCBB84}'

A search through the registry finds the first UID in HKCR\CLSID\{824B0347-ACEF-493B-9B58-205F8EF885A2} which, inanely enough, has to do with the BlackBerry. ?? I can't find the latter UID at all - I searched the registry, the computer, and Google. No love.

Where should I go to get this to &$*# stop?

Do you have Office installed on this machine? I have seen that message too many times to count. The main way that I made it disappear is to do a full install of office or just do a full install of each program that you are installing. (Install all of Excel options instead of just installing Excel)

Live to Throw
Throw to Live

Does this happen for all packages, or just a few?

Is it first time you open from one Enterprise Mangler session, or just the first time (then you can close EM, open again, go back in, and open the package just fine)

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Do you know what is inside the DTS package.

Was the DTS package transferred from another system?

It sounds like there is something inside the package that isn't installed properly. Something like it dumps to a different format and the program that handles that format isn't installed on the server.

Live to Throw
Throw to Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back