Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

going on interview. wht questions should i expect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowledgeisnetworkin

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2004
US
I am going on an interview for a help desk position. the job is basically doin software support, hardware installs/support. learning w2k AD. assisting remote users using win xp remote access utility.

The job also requires telephone help desk duties. Knowing all this,..what sort of questions should i expect to get on an interview with the job description as such?

Also wht are some good questions to ask the interviewer about the company, the work atmosphere, etc, etc.

thanks

I would say:

Be prepared to be asked:
* Technical questions to show basic IT knowledge in relevant areas (PC hardware, general networking, Win2K, WinXP, active directory, using remote access features in the OS etc).
* How to deal with professional non IT staff members.
* What you want to gain in technical from this position
* What you can offer to this organisation in terms of your abilities and expertise.
* Things that show you are keen to learn things and expand your horizons, if there is a trainee / junior aspect to this position.
* Telephone manner.
* Ability to explain technical terms and problems in a non technical manner.

Be prepared to ask:
* Ask about the company, its working environment, no. users, no. sites, technologies in place and any new items planned for rollout in the near future, maybe ask what a typical day in the life of a helpdesk tech at company x involves (or whatever the job title is) etc.
* Training / personal development opportunities.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back