Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Going back to 95 after 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

clw

MIS
Mar 6, 2003
US
I have software that needs to use Windows 95 - I have discs for Windows 95 upgrade for an old computer that I recently got rid of. My other computers came with Win 98. I tried to install the 95 upgrade, but it won't let me. How can I do this or can I?

I heard that this is possible, however have never seen it done. You will basically have to trick the installation into believing that there is an operating system already there or stop it checking for an O/S.

Try this switches, when starting the install

setup /ntldr

/ntldr = Eliminates check for previous o/s

Here are some more that may help if you have probs

/is = Iqnores routin system check
/iq = Skips check for cross-linked files
/d = Spcifies not to use current windows config
/ih = Skips registry check

You'll be lucky if that works....

Other that that get a copy of 95 full install.

Best of luck

rathcoffey

Can you use your 98 boot disk and get CD access. Copy your CD\win95 directory across to the hard drive then run the setup from there. There have been some who have reported success that way.
Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

This comment is no help at all but I always found it amusing - just after the release of Win95, a tech friend of mine used to wander around muttering, "Downgrade now to Dos 3.1 and avoid the rush."

I hope you solve your problem - I've always found the assistance here invaluable!

Pamela.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back