Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Godaddy & Mail server registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndunaz

MIS
Nov 11, 2003
US
I am trying to test my mail server with one of my domain names registered (it is the one used for internal domain) to make sure that my mail server can be contacted (it is behind nat with ports forwarded).

Anyway In Godaddy, I added my host name for the mail server to the IP of the router that is forwarding through 25 and 110 to my mail server behind nat. Then at Godaddy I added the mx record pointing to that host name I entered. I did this on Thursday last (so it has been more than 48 hours). The mx tests on various sites show the host name, but they say they can't connect to the mail server. When sending mail to this address it says invalid domain, or that the host does not exist.

The website is parked at godaddy... do I need to add another record into the total dns control? Something to get it to forward the MAIL for the domain using the host name to that IP. (I thought that was what the MX record would do).

Any help would be appreciated.

fanncon.com Should I be able to ping the host record I set up fannxfile.fanncon.com?

Thanks in advance.

Here's what I see for your MX records.

fanncon.com MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = fannxfile.fanncon.com
fanncon.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = 24.119.181.114
fanncon.com internet address = 64.202.167.192

I think you need a host record for fannxfile.fanncon.com.

MikeL

This is how I've always set up DNS records

Add host record
mail.domain_name.com points to 1.2.3.4

Add MX record
mail.domain_name.com priority 10

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Looks okay ...

;; ANSWER SECTION:
fanncon.com. 3581 IN MX 0 fannxfile.fanncon.com.

[chris@uranium chris]$ telnet fannxfile.fanncon.com 25
Trying 24.119.181.114...
Connected to fannxfile.fanncon.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 fannxfile.fanncon.com ESMTP Postfix

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Thank you everyone for your help. I had added a second mx with the ip address... which is not what I wanted to do, but then I added an A record for fannxfile pointing to the ip even though I had already added a host. (it put it into the sub domain area so not sure if that is right or not) I removed the second mx since it only gave me additional errors and the dns report seems to come back good now, and I was able to recieve mail.

I had also sent an email to godaddy trying to find out why my host was not resolving, so I don't know if it was adding the A record which I did this morning, or if they fixed something with the host I added last week.

Anyway I appreciate the help. Hopefully this test leaves us good to go when we move our real domain over to this configuration.

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back