Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Go to Related Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemur21

Technical User
Jun 23, 2006
US
I had thought I'd understood this, but it appears it won't do what I want this to do.

Let's say I have two files - Players and Games, there's a join table called PlayerGames.

I have a portal in Players that lists all the games that player has played; and a portal in Games that lists all the players that have played that game.

I want to click a button in the portal - for example, in Players - that will take me to the ONE record in Games for that game -- instead, Go to Related Record only takes me into the join file.

Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks!

Chris

Use the Goto Related Record scriptstep to navigate.

Within your script, choose Specify - Define Relationship.
Choose an existing one or make a new one.
Point to the field you need.

Put that button/script in your portal/layout.

HTH

Hi Jean,

Won't that, however, only take me to the join file? I need to get to the OTHER file...

Chris

You want to go to a relationship further than the joinfile, this is not possible in lower FM 7 without the tunneling technique or data shunting.

I used both those techniques untill FM 6, but it is a mind and headbreaker, not easy to understand and not aesy to implement when you don't have a great understanding of relationshipstechniques.
The most commonly used technique in FM programming for accessing data from a remote table, is the creation of unstored calculation fields in each of the files in between the location where the data are stored and the file where they are needed.
It may be an effective solution in some cases, however it can cause the field definitions of files to become bloated with large numbers of unstored calculations serving the sole purpose of providing conduits for data being passed up (or down) the line to other files.

Data shunts may do the job relatively effectively when the number of fields is small.

But when I follow your posts, you seem to have a lot of fields....

If there is no way to switch to FM 7 or 8, I suggest you take a look at the datamatrix technique to retrieve values from files further away in your relationships.

Or...I misunderstood your question...This is a FM 5.5 application or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back