Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Go back to PS 3.0 method of printing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelunaboy

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
US
Aloha group, Yet another printing problem...

Setup: PS 4.0 on Windows 2003

Problem: Legacy application returns "Printer not ready" as published or desktop application.

History: When testing Citrix prior to purchase, printing worked perfectly. But that was on PS 3.0, now with PS 4.0 this application fails to print on client printers, both local and networked. It will print to network printers installed on the 2003 server. The other application we use prints without error so the failure is not in auto-create.

Question one: Is there anyway to go back to the PS 3.0 printing methods?

PS: I tried the demo of "ScrewDrivers" and printing works using it, so the problem must be in the way PS 4.0 does printing. However this cost $1500, requires client installation, and is only for Windows clients. But at least it tells me printing can work!

Any suggestions? - Thanks in advance - Alan

If you log on at the workstation to a desktop from citrix what printers do you see ?

[blue] Oh you know, just doing what I do.[/blue]

Cheers
Scott

We have been using Tricerat screwdrivers for over a year and have yet to have a problem. We have over 200 different printers in our environment.

Aloha Scott,

Thanks for the reply, and for helping with my drive mapping problems earlier - I'm getting so close to making this work!

From a Citrix Desktop I see the workstations default printer, which is a MS workgroup share, and the network printer installed on the Citrix server. This is excpected because the policy restricts auto-create to the default printer.

Test prints to both printers are successful from the Citrix desktop.

When I run the failing application on the Citrix desktop it doesn't encouter the "printer not ready" error, but nothing is printed either. No error, no printout, and no queue is created.

Running on the Citrix desktop, output from the failing application directed to the network printer installed on the Citrix server has the same results. No error, no printout, and no queue is created.

Switching back to a published application, output to the default printer returns "printer not ready". Switching output direction to the network printer installed on the Citrix server works correctly.

Thank you,
Alan

Aloha Dudenjersey,

Thank you for the reply. Good to know about your success with Tricerat. I was impressed when the demo worked for us on the first run. However our long range plans include non-windows clients so it may not workout for us.

Thank you,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back