Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gnompanel crash, cannot start kdeinit,Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2003
AU
I made a big mistake.I use Redhat 9. I remove the gcc,gcc++,cpp,libgcc,then want to reinstall them. But I log out before I install them. Now I cannot login, The error is: "gnompanel crash,/ is not a valid location,.." then I try to log by KDE,the error is "cannot start kdeinit, check your installtion"
Because I can still ssh to this Redhat 9 box. I reinstall the gcc,gccc++,libgcc, cpp,libstdc. Try again, stil the same error. I have backup of my stuff on the 2nd HDD by ssh. But don't know how to solve this problem.

Is it possible to save by ssh, to reinstall something? I don't want to reinstall redhat9.

More detail of error:
When I login with GNOME, error is:
"/" is not a valid location, Please check the spelling anf try again
"/root" is not a valid location, Please check the spelling anf try again
"/root/.gnome-desktop" is not a valid location, Please check the spelling anf try again
Application "gnome-panel"process(xxxx) has crashed due to a fatal error
after I click all these error windows, it is light blue backgroug screen
If I login by KDE, error:cannot start kdeinit, check your installtion. I click OK, then the login window shows again.
What shall I do?

If you get to the LILO/GRUB prompt type linux init=1 and you should get to a prompt.

Where to set that?
LILO/GRUB is for dual boot? I don't have dual boot.

when you start your computer it should come to a prompt:
boot:
at that point enter the command. LILO/GRUB is for any boot not just dual boot.

I don't notice there is prompt, boot. The startup is very faster. I will check later.

I tried the following way to solve the problem:
Because I still can connect to my Linux Box, so I reinstall gcc,cpp,...(the above five rpm) from ssh, then it is working now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back