Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gnome Login ->System->Halt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coper

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
US
Hello,

On my rh 7.1 I have a gnome gui user login. Under the System tab I have reboot or halt. I can use Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot. What are the keystrokes to halt the system?

Thanks

I don't know of any special keystrokes that do this by default, but you can add them yourself. The Ctrl+Alt+Del key sequence is set in the /etc/inittab file. Look for this line...

ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

You can create something on your own that will halt the system here.

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please click the link in the botton left hand corner that says "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post".

Hi Fluid11,

Thanks for replying. The reason I asked is that I have an old system I'm using to learn linux on. The monitor is going up so sometimes it goes black. Until I can afford a new one I need a way to do a proper shutdown without a screen.

I will try and edit the line in the /etc/inittab file

From- ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now
To- ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -h now

Thanks

Yep, that will do it for you.

ChrisP ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If somebody helps you, please click the link in the botton left hand corner that says "Mark this post as a helpful/expert post".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back