Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

global latatude/longitude 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamP

Programmer
May 26, 1999
US
Visit site
I have a requirement to create/load an 8i NT DB with the geographical location of every point on earth. <br>
Sounds more dramatic than it is. Degrees, minutes, and seconds are what I have to store. All data is on <br>
CD in ASCII format. I need to figure out how to design the tables & import the data. Will be used for <br>
very heavy OLTP application. Any conceptual or design ideas/experience would be very helpful.

SamP -<br>
You might want to investigate Oracle's Spatial Data option. I don't know too much about it, but I DO know it was designed precisely for this kind of situation. My understanding is it allows you to do things like store latitude, longitude, and elevation as one piece of data.

Where can I go on the give them an address and they would give me the latatude/longitude for that address. Then I could pull up a pix of say address. Any information as to where I could find this service? Thanks Rick Fields

Hi SamP, it really depends on what you want to do with the data once you have loaded it. We use spatial data without using the spatial option supplied with ORACLE. The spatial option can be useful, but the time and training that may be involved might not be worthwhile depending on what you want to do.

Cheers
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back