Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Global Field, passed across Tables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rifter1

Technical User
Jun 1, 2006
US
FMP7

I have a "worksheet" which the first thing I need to select is the City I am in. I select from a long value list the City. Done.

How do I then pass that to all the other Tables in the file?

All the other tables' "City" fields need to be set to this city. Is there an easy way to do this?

Make sure you have a constant field in all the tables and link them together.

Put your City field, based upon this relationship on the layout.

I know what you posted sounds simple.
(A) All the tables have a field called "City" which are linked. But the value does not automatically show up in the field.
(B) Copying the field from the original table and pasting it into other tables does nothing. The field shows up blank.
(C) Changing the "city" fields in other tables to a calculation with a relationship does not work, as I cannot match "city" to "city" and copy another field. The problem is, the "city" field in the other tables is blank.

What am I doing wrong?

ie: I want the field "City" in the "windows" tab to be non-visible. However I want it to hold the same value as whatever the user sets in the "Worksheet" tab.

Put it this way, open the file, delete all windows, go back to the "Worksheet" tab, change cities, go back to "Windows", create new window - it has the Phoenix numbers. No matter what city you select. This is not a good thing.

by the way the purpose of this file is to correctly size Air Conditioners for a home.

Sorry for late reply, exams all over....

As far as I can see you're missing one Table Occurence and an open link between your Windows and Worksheet

Add a key field (auto enter constant = 1, indexed) in your Windows and Worksheet table.
Make a TO based upon this key field. (constant = constant).
In Worksheet the cityName will be the regular value, where in Windows the cityName has to be a calculated global, based upon your new TO.

That will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back