Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Global DHCP Server Changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kythri

Technical User
Jan 21, 2003
US
We're looking at changing DNS IPs in our organization, and need to bulk-update a bunch of scopes for the new changes.

Any easy way to do this on a Windows 2003 DHCP Server, without touching each individual scope?

Will changing options on the server propagate to all scopes underneath it?

Or is there a way to scriptomatically do this?

If your DNS servers were configured via the server options, all you need to do is change it there. However, if you did put them in each scope you will need to modify each scope.

What is a bit worrying is you are talking about pushing your ISPs DNS server IP addresses down to your clients. In a small (non-Domain) environment this might be fine but you are talking about a 'bunch of scopes' and this is in a Windows Server 2003 forum so I can only assume you are talking about an AD network here?
You 'should' be running your own DNS and forwarding to your ISPs servers from your own DNS servers....

Andy

I've not mentioned ISP DNS at all. We're running our own DNS servers, and are migrating to new ones, so I need to update the scopes accordingly.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding an easy place to do this - the scopes options are automatically set when the scope is created, not manually configured, but when I look at "006 DNS Servers" under "Predefined Options and Values" the "Value" field says "none", not the auto-defined DNS servers.

OK, so, poking around, I did find the "Server Options", and made changes there, but it did not propagate to all created scopes.

When we created these, we did not manually configure the DNS servers, we utilized what was in "Server Options".

Is there a way to push this change to all scopes?

Nevermind, I refreshed, and this appears to have worked.

Sorry I misread the 'DNS IPs' as 'ISP DNS' - maybe a mild form of dyslexia...

You can import and export DHCP scopes as text files so you could export them, edit them and then import them. I have worked with a few customers that have done this when we have made major IP changes in the network. Typically these are global settings (under Server Options) with maybe some specific settings one some DHCP scopes.

Andy

Awesome, thanks! I'll give that a look too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back