Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

global device db host name invalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdeane

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2001
GB
I have just installed BS 4.5GA for the first time and I am getting an error when running the 'getting started' option.

It will pass the fist check which is the 'preparing to scan for devices' the next line displays the server name and 'scanning for devices' but this generates the error 'Could not get device configuration. The global device database host name is invalid (49)'

The latest Quantun DLT7000 driver has been installed and configured under NT4 and appears to be working correctly.

How do I progress with this.

Thanks

Jonathan

uninstall the quantum device drivers for NT and install the Netbackup tape device drivers which you can download from their support site.

Depends - First, The driver solution is a red herring. I have installed the latest NT drivers from Quantum for all 37 of my DLT's and they ALL work 100%.

Do you have a robotics controlled device or is it a standalone?

This could be a control issue where NT has control and is not relinquishing it - It may be a simple matter of diasbling NT's ability to control the device.

I have tried replacing the driver anyway and this has made no difference to my error.

I have also noticed that when I first click on 'Devices' on the left pane that I also get this error once only 'Unable to read global device database: failed receiving from vmd(72)'

You mention disabling NT's ability to control the device, how do I do this?

Thanks

Jonathan

How I resolved the problem.

C:\program files\veritas\volmgr\bin vmglob -set_gdhost clkpdc01

This cured the first error but then it genterated another error which asked you to run the next line manualy

C:\program files\veritas\volmgr\bin tpautoconf -upgrade

Once these two commands were run it all seemed to work.

Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back