Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Global Contact List

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBTL

MIS
Dec 17, 2003
EG
Hi Guys,

I have recently installed exchnage 2003 by upgrading from Exchange 5.5, i am running W2k3 with AD. I want to have some external contacts to be listed in the address book when sending an email, how can i do that. In Exchnage 5.5 you can create an internet mail and name the receipient but in Exchnage 2003, how is this possible?

TBTL

You create a mail-enabled contact in AD (through AD users and computers).

Christ -

Does that mean the AD admin needs to input all the companies clients email addresses? For example our company have in the region of 200 brokers we need adding to an address list for Outlook users to select individually. Surely I do not have to add all these users into ADUC?? If I do is there a quick & clean method, ie; not have all these users mixed up with my domain users?

Thanx
Gary

Look at creating a public folder with those addresses as contacts in that folder.

Dan

Hi Dan,
So if I open my Outlook & browse to "Public Folders" then create New folder-Address List, and share so that anon has full access, will all other users see this in their Outlook?
Thanx again
G

If you have an "All Users" list, I'd allow them access instead of anonymous. Probably not important, but that's how I do it.

They will only see the folder if the "Folder Visible" checkmark is checked. Also, you may want to change who can edit, delete, etc. I would recommend allowing everyone the ability to read them, and edit their own entries. That way nobody deletes anything, and they can create/edit their own even though everyone can see them.

Finally, you can set someone else as the "Owner" of the folder, that role allows the person to change who has access and what access they have. That will lessen your administrative burden.

Dan

Sorry - Should have waited until I tried! I have done that but when I create a new email on a client & select "Public Folder" from the "select names menu" it says "This bookmark is not valid"..

Any ideas appreciated -
G

I think the best solution from my side is that you rather create an OU as contact, create contacts and privide external SMTP addresses, simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back