Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Global Address list/banned words

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfairy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2003
GB
Hi all.

I work at a College, and we have a problem with students spamming the entire Global Address list with rubbish. This has actually caused offensive to various students and staff. Is there a way that I can block access to the Global Address list? I'm running Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2000. I'm told that I can't get rid of the Global Address List or Exchange will fall over? Also we have tired setting Outlook to look at Personal Contacts first (under the 'send' button), but these users are smart enough to simply move it back to Global Address list. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what has everyone done to resolve this.

Thanks

Rfairy

Yep, know the problem since I too work at a college. A global address list isn't much use if nobody can see it. Our students have had the benefit of e-mail for over a decade now and we had these problems in the early days and found the only effective solution was a strict IT usage policy. Anyone abusing that policy will invariably lose the facility and be subject to the college's disciplinary processes. We always get a few bad eggs at the beginning of the academic year but, by exercising a firm policy from day one, we see very little abuse of the kind you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back