Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Glitches upgrading to 6.1.1 for 5.5.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr570

Vendor
Nov 29, 2001
US
Are there any issues upgrading to 6.1.1 from 5.5.1? We are planning to upgrade to 6.1.1 soon, and I am trying to prepare myself for any issues that arise with the upgrade. The instructions in the manual make it look pretty easy, I'm sure there is more to it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. ericbarr@tx.slr.com

Make sure that you do a partial uninstall before the upgrade. That removes the executibles so that they all get replaced successfully.

You're probably aware going to 6.x converts all of your indexes. Make sure the indexes are checked and compressed if this is a UNIX system. To avoid corruption during the conversion enter nsrck -F from the command line while no other activity. Before you do this, make sure you have enough space in your nsr directory (twice the size of your largest index). Networker sets a aside a copy of each client index while compressing and it takes a while. I don't have experience with the Windows version of Networker.

My upgrade took a few hours to do from 5.7 to 6.1. Larger indexes take quite a while.

Don't be surprised if your indexes only covert back thirty days. When I upgraded from 5.5.3 to 6.1.1 Some of the file indexes coversion quit about tirty days back. If you need the data you can use nsrck to get the rest on it from tape. Also according to Legato once your Media database is converted your system can perform backups. This is probably due to the fact that the new file index scheme uses a new file everyday instead of the huge file under 5.x

good luck (Its easier then you think)

Have a party to say good to the old bugs.
Because its alot better!

joe

Hi all,
I will carry out my upgrade soon, which is from 5.5.2 to 6.1.1, currently my backup server is a Sun E450 running
Solaris 2.6 and the index size is about 1.6TB.
Question:
Where can I get the complete and detail upgrade instruction?
how long does take to do the index conversion for 1.6TB?

Thanks.

sorry, my index size is 16GB which is not the 16TB I mentioned in my previous post.

I know most of you has done the upgrade of networker before, since this is the first time I do it, I hope that some of you can guide me through this or may be just show me where can I find those info in Legato website.

Make sure you have enough free disk space to convert the largest client index. Other than that, make a copy or a backup of the the servers bootstrap and client indecies before you start the update. You Don't have to do a partial uninstall.

Legato gave me a rule of thumb on index conversion - about 3GB per hour. Our conversion was a bit faster than that. We have an HP L2000 server with 1 Gb of memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back