Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Giving priority to traffic from one VLAN 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

primate

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have an 877W with two VLANs. Staff use VLAN1, non-staff users use VLAN2. I want traffic from VLAN1 to have priority for the internet connection (ADSL). I either want to restrict the traffic from VLAN2 to a maximum throughput level thus guaranteeing a certain amount of bandwidth of the internet connection for VLAN1, or I need to make sure that packets from VLAN1 are pushed out to the internet before packets from VLAN2.

Is this possible? I've been reading various QoS guides on the Cisco website but seem to be going round in circles.

Originally it was traffic from VLAN1 as I was trying to give priority to this. Then I switched to just trying to limit traffic from VLAN2 using policing, hence the change if subnet.

I see. It seems like the acls/maps then might be backwards. That is the number one problem I have had with policing...

maybe if you put a topology w/ subnets up we could get a better idea

peace

Sorry for not responding, I've been on holiday!

I've realised I've confused myself here and the subnet in post #4 is wrong. But it still doesn't work with the correct subnet.

The topology is pretty straightforward, there are two subnets contained within two VLAN's behind the router. VLAN1 = 192.168.80.0/24 and VLAN2 = 172.17.0.0/24.

The router is directly connected to the internet via an ADSL connection. Some traffic from VLAN1 is directed down a VPN tunnel to our corporate network, and specifically this traffic, which is for Outlook/Exchange, Citrix etc. needs priority - though in reality I don't need to be this specific, I just want to prioritise all traffic from/to VLAN1.

Traffic from VLAN2 is lower priority and will just be browsing traffic from people using a wireless network subnet represented by VLAN2. Potentially users who will not be staff members may use streaming media etc. and I want to limit the impact of this on the the users on VLAN1.

Does this provide enough information? I really didn't think this was going to be so complex when I started out, I can appreciate its difficult to work with the inbound traffic since we can't manage it end to end, but surely it must be possible to manage the outbound traffic at least?!

Is the router participating in VLAN tagging? Where are you applying your policy parameters in reference to where your VLANS are defined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back