Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

giving a domain user the same rights as a admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

techhus

Technical User
May 11, 2003
AE
I got a win2k server as a domain controller running with win2000pro and xp pro clients connected in a LAN.

I can access the client machines over the network while logged on as an administrator(domain). I access their machines through their hidden default share C drive (\\client machine\c$). That works fine, but now I'm trying to get a regular domain user account to do the same. I've added that user account to the Administrators, Domian administrator and Accounts operators group but still no luck.

I also added that user account to the actual client's machine with full control rights(NTFS), but still no luck.

By adding that user account to those groups I mentioned above, would that not give that user access the same rights and access as the administrator?

Whats the use of having one Admin to a domain?

By adding the user to the Domain admin group, they should be granted all domain admin priveledges. If more then one server, allow for the change to replicate.

The user eing unable to access the workstation share, even after being added to the share raises a different question. Can anyone else access this share?

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Thanks, I've added the user to the Domain admin group and log off and on.
It worked, That user now can connect to the other domain user's hidden shared c: drive. The log of and on seemed to work, I'll try to remember that next time.

Do you guys know of any application or software out there for xp/win2000 pro machines that will backup their word and excel documents to a network drive on aonther machine using an unc name.
It should search their whole machine (directory and subdirectory)and copy only the MS office documents, not the directories and subdirectories the documents are in.

What I mean by the whole machine is that it should start at c:\ and so on. The staff have an habit of saving their documents all over different directories.

Maybe it could also be a batch file.

Thanks

Techhus

I've noticed That the user I added to domain admins group could also connect to the win2k domain controllers c: directory (mess around there). This is because the domain admins group is also part of the built in Administrators group.
I just want to give that user access to the client's workstations computer.

how do I do this?

Thanks
techhus

As for backing up your users files, in the past I have used xcopy and it worked great(Windows 2k). A sample batch I use:

@echo off
REM copy folders
xcopy "C:\Folder1" /c /s /r /d /y /i "\\servername\backup"
xcopy "C:\Folder2" /c /s /r /d /y /i "\\servername\backup"

If you do xcopy /? at a command prompt, it will give you an explanation of the arguments. I set up a scheduled task to run this as a batch each night and had no problems backing up about 10 different folders. Someone else might want to comment on how to search your c: drive (using *.doc for example) to include subfolders. I would have to test a few things before I was sure about syntax. I would probably tell users if it isn't in my documents, it isn't safe : )
Hope this helps!

techhus,

If you only want the user to "Administer" the worstations, then crete a domain global group - call it adminlocal - or something. Add that group to the local administrators group on each workstation. That can be done using a script:

create a batch file and use the command line

net localgroup "Administrators" /ADD "domain_name\global_group"

And run the script as a logon script to add the global group to the local machines. That done, you only need to add the user(s) to the global group to have them members of the local groups.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Thanks agian. I've added that user to the local admin groups through Computer Management under Administrative tools by connecting to the the workstations. There was no need to make a script file because we don't run that many computers. Now that user can only administer the client workstations.

I'll try to that xcopy command and see what happens.

Thanks
Techhus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back